Bruce B Downs Blvd Transit Assessment – Public Meeting: April 1
Date: 6:30-8:30 pm, Thursday, April 1, 2010
Tampa Palms Elementary School, 6100 Tampa Palms Blvd
More Info: View draft report, an assessment of right-of-way available for rail or bus rapid transit in concert with reconstruction of Bruce B Downs Blvd to 6 lanes or 8 lanes wide between Bearss Ave and Palm Springs Blvd, conducted in partnership between Hillsborough County MPO and Hillsborough County Department of Public Works.
February 15, 2010 – Increased traffic congestion along overcrowded Bruce B. Downs Boulevard could be mitigated in future years as a result of a unanimous decision today by HART’s board of directors to analyze the feasibility of extending a rapid transit line from Skipper Road to Cross Creek in New Tampa.
The intent is to better serve Hillsborough residents who commute south along one of Hillsborough County’s most congested roads to work at the University of South Florida, in Downtown Tampa and in the West Shore business district.
A motion made by board member David Mechanik and seconded by board member Fran Davin authorizes HART (Hillsborough Area Regional Transit Authority) to broaden the scope of a study of the Northeast rail corridor to better serve anticipated growth in North Hillsborough near the Interstate 75 interchange.
The move comes as part of the process HART is conducting to properly assess and address mass transit needs in Hillsborough County well into the future.
|HART is currently holding meetings around the county to provide information and seek public input on future transit options.Upcoming community meetings include:
- Feb. 18th, 5:30 pm, Freedom High School Cafeteria, 17410 Commerce Park Boulevard, Tampa
- Feb. 22nd, 5:30 pm, All Peoples Life Center, 6105 East Sligh Avenue, Tampa
- Feb. 23rd, 5:30 pm, University Area Community Development Center, 14013 North 22nd Street, Tampa
Upcoming meetings on HART’s Alternative Analysis include:
- Feb. 16th, 11 am-2 pm and 4 pm-7 pm, Loretta Ingraham Community Center, 1611 N. Hubert Ave., Tampa
- Feb. 17th, 3 pm-7 pm, University Square Mall Center Court, 2200 E. Fowler Ave., Tampa
- Feb. 19th, 11 am-2 pm, Tampa City Center/Esplanade, downtown Tampa
The board also unanimously agreed to continue to set aside excess reserves into a special capital budget for rapid transit and supporting initiatives, such as preliminary engineering and maintenance funds.
The decisions help move HART forward in its mission to enhance mass transit services in Hillsborough County, and explore options to sync up with a proposed high-speed rail line connecting Tampa to Orlando.
Community Open House Schedule
- Tuesday, February 16 – Westshore Area at Loretta Ingraham Recreation Complex, 1611 N Hubert Ave from 11am to 2pm
- Wednesday, February 17 – USF Area at University Mall, 2200 East Fowler Avenue (watch for directional signs) from 3pm to 7pm
- Friday, February 19 – Downtown Tampa at Tampa Downtown Market at Gas Lykes Park from 10am to 2pm; and One Tampa City Center from 11am to 2pm
Visit www.goHARTaa.org for more information on the Alternatives Analysis process.
ALTERNATIVES ANALYSIS PROCESS UPDATE
HART will share Screen 2 related results and ask for feedback at the Alternatives Analysis Community Open Houses.
Screen 2 is the second phase of the AA process, using modeling to estimate the ridership on each of the lines under review:
· Ridership modeling
· Neighborhood density
· Environmental impact
· Travel time
· Activity centers
· Traffic impact
· Developable land
· Public input
The final phase of the AA process is the selection of a Locally Preferred Alternative (LPA). It will be selected based on the criteria from the first two screenings.
Hillsborough County’s Transportation Task Force is holding a series of Community Outreach meetings to gather input on mobility improvements including rail, bus expansion, road and intersection improvements, along with other projects.
New North Area Meeting
Date and Time: Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:30pm
Location: Freedom High School 17410 Commerce Park Blvd, Tampa
Full 2010 Community Outreach Meeting Schedule